Yesterday morning at a local cafe, my friend Paula and I witnessed something that would change the life of two people forever.
The man at the table next to us got down on one knee and proposed to his girlfriend (via a crossword puzzle that he created, submitted to the paper, and they filled out together- holy mind-blowing, right?). And just wait until I tell you about the unconventional ring…
Both Paula and I teared up immediately (teared up = holding back uncontrollable sobs of joy).
The energy was just so pure. You could feel the love (just like this Mowgli's song).
Paula and I exchanged a glance wondering, “should we be ignoring them and let them enjoy this incredible moment together?”. But it was clear that they were receptive to sharing the good news with the people around them. Their energy elated me.
Which got me thinking- how freaking cool would it be feel this happiness every single day? Is it even possible?
The answer came to me immediately. Yes.
But since we can’t witness a heartfelt proposal every single day, it seems like the best way to be happy is from within (cue corny music here, I know, I know...)
Here’s a list of a few things I came up with:
- Show Gratitude (start your day by writing down 10 things you are grateful for)
- Meditate (check youtube for guided meditations)
- Moving Your Body (walk, pilates, yoga, TRX, bike, hike, shake what your mama gave you (aka dance in your living room)).
- Be in Nature (trees, birds, fresh air- oh my!)
- Prepare yourself a nourishing meal (real food for the win!)
- Disconnecting from your phone/computer/electronic device of choice (gives you time to do all of the above)
Common theme- all these things come from you.
No relying on anything or anyone (except for Mother Earth, but you came from her, so that's cool).
And if you’re thinking “well I don’t have time to do this stuff”...
Choose just one, and do it for 2 minutes for the next 5 days.
It's a definite start.
Back to our happy couple, the ring was absolutely breathtaking- it was a rough diamond, in the shape of heart. The girl said “I have a thing for heart-shape rocks”. Well call me corny, but oh lordy, pass over the tissues!
What’s something you can do today to be happy?
Let me know in the comments.