Easy Peasy Iced Tea
Warning: this recipe will not taste like the "Iced Tea" that you are used to (filled with crap your body isn't designed to digest). This drink is an unsweetened, real food only, refreshing taste of summer!
And easy to make yourself.
Only 2 ingredients (well 3 if you count water, but most of us are lucky enough to have that readily available at all times)!
Why should you make your own?
Not to point fingers, but check out the ingredients of a certain popular Iced Tea Brand that starts with a 'B' and ends with a 'risk':
14 INGREDIENTS! Water, Sugar, Glucose Fructose (2 sugars right off the bat...), Citric Acid (preservative), TeaPowder, Sodium Hexametaphosphate (thickener- also used in teeth whitening products), Flavour (shouldn't flavour come from the actual food and not some chemical additive?), Phosphoric Acid (acidifies food- also used as rust remover), Sodium Benzoate (preservative- also used in fireworks to make that 'whistle' noise), Potasium Sorbate (presevative- negatively effects immunity), Caramel Colour (seriously?), Calcium Disodium EDTA (binds to metals- so that your "food" doesn't react to the can that it's in), Dimethelpolysilicane (anti-caking agent- also used in caulking and tiles), Potassium Benzoate (preservative- when mixed with Vit. C can produce benzene which is a known carcinogen), Colour (more fake colour?!).
Moral of the story: Make your own.
Why fill your body with all these man-made chemicals? Not how you want to fuel yourself on these beautiful summer days....
- 3 Bags of Tea of Choice (or 2 tbsp of loose-leaf tea)
- 1 lemon
- Boil ~1L of water
- Pour over 3 teabags in a pot and allow to steep for ~15 minutes
- Allow to cool (perhaps put it in the fridge)
- Once cooled, place in a jug of some sort and fill the remaining space up with water
- Cut lemon in half and squeeze into the cooled tea
- Slice the other half of the lemon up and place in the jug to make it look pretty (and add more flavor of course!)
- Add ice if desired
- Sit back and enjoy!
See you in the Kitchen,