What do you get when you mix cranberries, apples, pears, pineapple with a few spices? A delicious Cranberry Chutney, of course!
Cranberries are already jam packed with nutrition, but when they are lacto-fermented, they become even more healthy.
What on earth is lacto-fermented and why is it so good for you, you ask? According to the Weston Price website:
The proliferation of lactobacilli in fermented vegetables enhances their digestibility and increases vitamin levels. These beneficial organisms produce numerous helpful enzymes as well as antibiotic and anti-carcinogenic substances. Their main by-product, lactic acid, not only keeps vegetables and fruits in a state of perfect preservation but also promotes the growth of healthy flora throughout the intestine.
In short- natural probiotics, baby.
Load me up!
Lacto- Fermented Cranberry Chutney
- 12 oz cranberries
- 2 apples
- 2 bosc pears
- 1 cup of pineapple (can chop up fresh or buy a can)
- 1/8 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup whey
- Chop cranberries, apples, pears and pineapple to small size (I pulsed the cranberries in the food processor, and chopped the others small by hand) and place in a big bowl
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well
- Place all ingredients in a mason jar and press down on it (you want to see some liquid gather at the top)
- Place a mason jar top loosely over it and let sit on your counter for 3 days
- Transfer to your fridge and enjoy!
Here's an awesome song to play along while you chop, chop, chop!