What is Kombucha?
Picture beautiful sunny day. You've just been out running some errands and when you get home, you want something delicious & sparkling to sip on. Meet your knew favourite drink that will give you all this (plus super awesome health benefits): Kombucha.
Kombucha is fermented cold tea.
It is slightly carbonated (a great replacement for people who love the fizziness of pop) and like all fermented food, is a great source of natural probiotics.
Why You Should Drink Kombucha
Kombucha Tea has existed for ~2000 years. Why? Because traditional societies know the value in consuming fermented foods!
So although there are no scientific papers that test the health benefits of Kombucha (Big Pharma doesn't want you to benefit from something you can make in your kitchen for pennies...) it's worth a shot to see if you see any improvements in your life in the following areas:
- Helps DigestionHigh levels of probiotics (natural immune boosters) & enzymes (makes food easier to digest)
- Immune Boosting A major part of your immune system depends on the health of your gut. Again, the natural probiotics in Kombucha contribute to a healthy gut, therefore giving your immune system support.
- Gentle Detox The anti-oxidants in Kombucha can gently flush your liver for a gentle daily detox
- Joint Care Kombucha has lots of glucosamines, which increases your synovial fluid (found in between joints to reduce friction between your bones)
If You've Never Had Kombucha Before...
If you've never had kombucha before, I'd highly recommend buying it before you make it on your own.
There are a multitude of flavours (ginger, mango, fruit punch, super greens (which is actually kind of gross so I don't recommend it, but all the other ones are divine. Promise).
Warning: you will be paying a pretty fee to buy Kombucha (~$4-$5 per bottle) but 1) you are worth it 2) if you truly enjoy it you can start making it yourself!
You can find Kombucha at Health Food Stores, some grocery stores and if you're lucky and live in NYC I've even seen it at convenience stores!
How to Make Kombucha
Once you've decided that Kombucha will be a part of your regular routine, you will probably want to switch to making it yourself.
It can literally be done for pennies!
It may seem a little overwhelming, but as Nike has taught us so well, Just Do It.
To make your own Kombucha you will need the following ingredients:
- Glass Jar
- Filtered Water
- Black Tea
- Sugar (don't freak. This sugar gets totally "eaten" by the SCOBY...)
- SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria and Yeast)- ask around your community to see if you can get one from someone. Check out your local Weston Price Chapter to see if they can hook you up with one. Alternately, you can buy online.
This link will tell you everything you need to know on how to make your own Kombucha:
I know that Kombucha may seem super intimidating, but it's just one of those things- once you try it, you'll realize it's no big deal!
So enjoy and have fun. That's what it's all about.