When I started dating my hubby, I was introduced to a new holiday tradition.
This Christmas Morning Bake is an awesome addition to any Christmas morning spread!
It's easily prepared the night before (just pop it in the oven Christmas morning) and it is delicious!
The traditional version of this breakfast casserole calls for corn flakes (which isn't Real Food in my opinion ).
But don't worry! I replaced the crunchy cereal with crispy bacon! A great swap, I think!
Healthy Christmas Morning Bake
- ~1/2 loaf of sliced sourdough bread (enough to have 2 layers to cover a 9" x 13" baking dish)
- 10 slices ham
- ~ 20 slices raw cheese (depends on the size of your cheese- you want enough to make a layer in the 9" x 13" pan!)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped green and red pepper (so festive looking!)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- ~8 slices of pasture-raised bacon (to be cooked to a crisp to sprinkle on top!)
To do the day before
- Prepare your bacon (My favourite way to make crispy bacon is by baking it on a cookie sheet for ~20 mins at 350!)
- Butter a 9" x 13" baking dish and layer sliced bread to cover the bottom
- Add a layer of ham over the bread
- Add a layer of cheese
- Add another layer of bread
- In a bowl, beat eggs, spices, veggies & milk
- Pour over bread layers and place in fridge overnight
To do the morning of
- Preheat oven to 350
- Remove baking dish from fridge and sprinkle crispy bacon on it
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter and pour on top of all
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving
Serve & Enjoy!
Is there something that your family eats every Christmas morning? Leave a comment below- I'd love to know!
Want your own personalized First Step in 'The Healthy You Project'?
(like a new easy recipe to try, a meditation chose specifically for you, or a personalized worksheet...)