Hot 'n' Steamy Cold Kale Salad + Visit to TapRoot Farms
TapRoot Farms has an open door policy.
If you are ever in the area, you are more than welcome to pull up to their farm/house, knock on the door, say hello, have some water/tea/discussions, and walk around the farm.
Patricia & Josh are the owners, and their commitment to giving Nova Scotians organic, nutrient-dense veggies is admirable.
I went up earlier this week for a farm tour and learned a lot about the farm that has been feeding me veggie-wise for the past few years.
A brief description of the pics:
- Tomatoes about to go crazy!
- Compost piles- it's a science!
- Farm Fresh Families enjoyin' the tour!
- Flax (Patricia has a lot of plans for these- seeds, oil & linen shirts!)
- Zucchini! (said with an Italian accent. Just because)
- Happy Hens
- My fave- RABBITS
- Patricia giving us the scoop
- Kale!!! Which leads me to the next point....
Today's recipe comes from Patricia, as a response to one CSA Member (Community Shared Agriculture- find more info here) who told Patricia he has not yet embraced kale.
I whipped some up when I got home, and I must say- it's delish! And simple. And that's how we roll here at Food Savvy.
Hot 'n' Steamy Cold Kale Salad
(I know this is a bit of an oxymoron- the salad itself is cold, you will just be getting up close and personal with the Kale!- it's the secret to making it awesome)
- 1 head Kale
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- whatever else you may want to throw in!
*The first step is Patricia's secret to makin' kale yummy*
- In a large bowl, rip kale from stem and MASSAGE with your hands. Really work the kale! This will soften it up and give it a great texture to eat raw.
- Add olive oil, and continue to massage (yes your hand will get oily, but that's ok, you'll get over it)
- Add remaining ingredients and stir
Kale is chock full of calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C & vitamin K. You'll also be getting minerals such as copper, potassium, iron, maganese and phosphorous.
Be happy knowing that this raw kale salad is full of antioxidants!
On top of that, when your kale is from an organic source, such is the case when you vote with your dollar and buy from TapRoot Farms, you are receiving allllll the goodness of a nutrient-rich, organic soil, which does good for body, mind and soul!
And as a shameless plug, check out my Meal Prep Boxes which have TapRoot produce in them every week, delivered to your door ;)
And don't forget, send me your questions for Q & A Thursday!
Until next week, wishing you all the love & nutrition in the world,